Tuesday 23 April 2013

Adding Static ARP Entry in Windows Vista

NOTE : I have decided to write a blog again. Following was the most popular post on my last blog so I am publishing it again. 


I had a real tough time trying to configure my internet connection on Windows Vista. The entry for my DNS was dynamic and I was using arp -d "" as a quick fix. Yesterday, I decided to fix this problem once and for all. I knew that in Ubuntu its quite easy to add a static entry in to the ARP Table. I used the following command which worked quite well in Ubuntu.

arp -s "xx.x.x.x" "mm:mm:mm:mm:mm:mm"

where xx.x.x.x was the ip address and "mm:mm:mm:mm:mm:mm" was the MAC Address. So feeling quite confident about the solution of the problem, I performed the following steps.

  1. Went to Start > Run
  2. Typed in "cmd" and pressed enter.
  3. In the command prompt I entered the command arp -s "xx.x.x.x" "mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm"
Result : The ARP entry addition failed : 5

Oops, I realized that Windows Vista needs elevated mode to perform such operations. So, I went to the desktop and right clicked on the "Command Prompt" shortcut and selected Run as Administrator option. A window appeared asking for the confirmation and I selected to continue.
I repeated the above procedure with the administrative privileges and yet again... the same result. What the hell? If I can delete an entry so easily then what's wrong with the addition. Thinking that Vista is a real crap, I decided to google my problem. There were numerous posts on the same topic and people complaining about the same problem and yup...there was a solution to my problem. Lets see how it works.

  1. Open command prompt with administrator rights.
  2. Type the command == > netsh -c "interface ipv4"
  3. You would get the command prompt like "netsh interface ipv4>"
  4. Next , you type the command == > add neighbors "Local Area Connection" "xx.x.x.x" "mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm" (Replace Local Area Connection with the name of the connection)
  5. Bingo !!!
This solution fixed the problem and my internet connection started to work properly. Hope you found this solution useful.

Cheers






No comments:

Post a Comment